-->

Tuesday, December 18, 2012

Christmas Sweet Potatoes that melt in your mouth...Ummm

Christmas is my favorite holiday.  It's truly the only time of year that I truly enjoy cooking a great big meal.  I have the traditional Christmas dinner of ham, potatoes, corn, bread, green bean casserole, and pies.  Many years ago, I found a recipe for sweet potatoes, not really sure whether my family would like it. 

I usually follow a recipe exactly the first time I make it but on this one I decide to play with right away.  For instance, I knew that my kids would not eat it unless it was a bit sweeter.  I added more brown sugar, cinnamon, butter and pecans. It really paid off, it has become a holiday favorite that my family can't live without. I will share this favorite for everyone to enjoy this Christmas.




Ingredients:
  • Whole Pecans
  • Evaporated Milk
  • Butter
  • Flour
  •  Brown Sugar
  •  Eggs
  • Sweet Potatoes
  • Cinnamon
 
1. Peel about 6 large Sweet Potatoes, cut into large cubes and boil until completely soft.  Drain in a colander for about 10 minutes.  In a large bowl mash sweet potatoes very well, you can also use a food processor but make sure not to puree. 
 

2.   Place sweet potatoes into Kitchen Aid mixer, add 2 large eggs and 2 cans of evaporated milk into the sweet potatoes.  Blend until well mixed.
 
3.  In a food processor, add 2 cups whole pecans, 2 sticks of soften salted butter, 1 tablespoon of cinnamon, and some of the 2 cups of flour.  Pulse together adding the flour a little at a time.  You want this to resemble a crumble topping, so you may need to add a bit more flour.
 
4.  Place sweet potato mixture into large baking casserole.  Take half of the crumble from step 3 and stir lightly into mixture.  Smooth and add the remaining topping to the top.  Cover with foil and place in 450 degree oven for 15 minutes, reduce heat to 350 degrees and bake for an additional 40 minutes.  Remove foil for the last 10 minutes for a prettier dish.
 
5.  Take out of the oven and let cool for 5 minutes before serving.

 
This recipe is sure to become a holiday favorite.  Even my husband who has never liked sweet potatoes, enjoys these. 
 


No comments:

Post a Comment